- August 15, 2014
- 585 Views
Picnic planning with The Edinburgers
Now we had planned to write you a post all about a lovely picnic we’d had over the weekend but well once again the weather wasn’t the best and let us down a bag full. What we should have done was packed up and went even if we had to eat it in the car. We had been sent some fantastic plates, bowls, glasses etc. from JustCateringSupplies and thought what better way than to whip up some tasty treats and head out and put them to the test. Not one to be beaten we still made some tasty treats, put the supplies to use and eat indoors. Just Catering Supplies offer a great range of catering supplies for parties, picnics and other any other event. The items on their site are great quality and many of the plastic bowls which we have used in the recipes are hard plastic and could be washed and re-used again. Roll on the sunny weather so we can get proper use out of our kit!!
On the menu for our indoor picnic was mackerel pate, grilled sardines and a vegetable wild rice.
- 1 garlic clove
- extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 2 lemons
- Ground black pepper
- 4 fresh sardines, cleaned, scaled, and gutted
- Fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Chopped tomato. for serving
Mix together the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and black pepper in a small bowl.
Arrange the sardines in a single layer on the bottom of a shallow baking dish and pour the marinade over the fish.
Turn the fish to ensure they are coated evenly, and spoon some of the marinade into the cavity of each fish. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Put a griddle pan on a high heat to get nice and hot.
- Remove the sardines from the marinade and grill on griddle pan until well-charred, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using a metal spatula or fish turner, flip the sardines over and grill until charred on second side and cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer the sardines to a large platter and season with salt. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with tomato wedges.
Smoked mackerel pate
- 400g smoked mackerel
- 100g crème fraîche
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Sea salt and black pepper for seasoning
- Remove skins of mackerel fillets.
- Place in blender and add crème fraîche, season with salt and pepper and add the lemon juice.
- Blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- Serve with spinach and oatcakes.
Wild rice with vegetables
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 50g frozen peas
- 50g sweetcorn
- 50g chopped mushrooms
- 50g red pepper chopped
- 50g chopped onion
- 50g broccoli
- Bring water and rice mix to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 22 minutes. Transfer rice to a bowl to cool.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil; cook peas and broccoli in the boiling water until just cooked, about 2 minutes. Drain and cool.
- In a frying pan saute onions and mushrooms.
- Mix cooled peas and broccoli,sweetcorn, mushrooms, red pepper and onion into cooled rice mixture.
Let us know if you try any of the recipes.
Current home: Edinburgh, Scotland, She loves holidays, him, good food, cooking, baking, wine,