- January 2, 2017
- 120 Views
Spicy Mackerel Pasta
So the second fish which Fish is the Dish has challenged us to use is mackerel. This is available in a variety of forms such as cured, fresh, prepacked in supermarkets or fresh from your local fishmongers. For this challenge we had tinned mackerel in a tomato sauce to work with. We’ve used tinned mackerel before as it’s a handy cupboard staple to have, tastes great spread on toast or mixed up with some rice and veg for a quick lunchtime snack. We normally keep it for home though, as we’re not sure if our work colleagues would appreciate the aroma. Spicy mackerel pasta is very simple and cheap to make.
Serves 3-4 | Prep time 5 minutes | Cooking time 15 minutes |
- 250g Tinned mackerel in tomato sauce
- 20-30 olives halved
- 4 heaped teaspoonfuls capers
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 250g wholemeal pasta
- 1/2 tube tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons of chilli jam
- Crusty bread to serve with.
- Place pasta in a pan of boiling water and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Whilst pasta is cooking, place chopped tomatoes and tomato puree in a saucepan and gently heat.
- Next add the chilli jam, capers and olives stirring well.
- Remove big chunks of mackerel from the tins and add the remaining sauce and smaller bits to the tomato sauce.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper to your own taste.
- Drain pasta and add tomato sauce. Stir well to ensure all the pasta is well coated.
- Place pasta on serving plate and add the larger chunks on top.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Hope you all enjoy as much as we did. Definitely something I’ll be making again as it’s quick, cheap and a great way to get fish back into our diet! We served with crusty bread but you don’t need to. Can be served with a salad or a larger portion of kale.
Next week we’ll be cooking up a tasty treat with crab 🙂
Current home: Edinburgh, Scotland, She loves holidays, him, good food, cooking, baking, wine,